Previous event: October 12 - 14, 2018
For the past 2 years the SPCC has kicked off the season with an internationally elite Doubles Event. World class curlers got a chance to experience our great facility while SPCC members and other avid curlers could joined in the fun by entering a recreational team.
This year, the SPCC hosted the SPCC Doubles Classic with a 16 team Canada Curling Tier 3 competitive event and a 8 team recreation division.
Team Streifel/Laycock posted on Facebook - October 16 at 11:46 PM · Huge shout out to the Sherwood Park Curling Club for hosting a great Mixed Doubles event this past weekend. Not quite the start we were hoping to begin with, but we finished strong to win the Consolation side!
16 Competitive Mixed Doubles and 8 Recreational Open teams competed in this event:
Recreational Event Teams: 8 TEAMS AS OF OCT 9 - Full
Competitive Event Teams: 16 AS OF OCT 9
- Eligible for Tier 3 Canadian Mixed Doubles Ranking (CMDR) points
- Mixed Doubles Competitive teams cash spiel (upon full team entries)
- 1st - $900
- 2nd - $600
- 3rd & 4th - $300
- 5th- 8th - $150
- $50/win round robin payout
- Winner of Consolation - $200
- 4 games guaranteed for the Competitive division
- 8 teams advance to the Championship round
- 8 teams qualify for the Consolation round
- Recreation division
- Open Doubles Recreational teams cash spiel (upon full entries)
- 1st A - $250
- 2nd - $175
- 3rd & 4th - $100
- $20/win round robin payout
- Winner of the Consolation B side - $100
- 3 games guaranteed for recreation division
- Saturday meal - all athletes will recieve an event meal coupon to be used on Saturday
- Spares on the Rec side need to be of equal skill level (junior for a junior) and on the Competitive side the spare rule follow the Canada Curling Mixed Doubles guidelines
Previous event: September 22 - 24, 2017
Congratulations to our Service Experts Doubles Classic winners!
Caroline Bartz & Lucas Bartz
PREVIOUS EVENT : Oct 14 - 16, 2016
SPCC hosted a world class event!
We celebrated the grand re-opening of the newly revitilized SPCC!
Canada - Team Peterman/Gallant - were avid participants.
Russia - Portunova/Glukhov
16 Competitive Mixed Doubles and 16 Recreational Open teams played in this exciting event.
WCF Rules of Play - Doubles Curling
- 2 Players - one male & one female
- 6 stones per team (1 pre placed)
- 8 ends - 22 minutes thinking time
- Players 1 throws stones 1 & 5, Player 2 throws stones 2, 3 & 4
- Players can switch positions between ends
- Both players can sweep
- Holding the broom is optional
- No take outs till 4th stone of each end
- One “power play” option per team per game - use only when you have the hammer